...the excellent adventure continues!

when we last left our characters...it was friday--and no school.  MHD went into work...although a very kind neighbor had to help him get up one of the hills, MTSC was in houston at a soccer tournament, and so that just left me and MDE.  well--we did what anyone would do in this situation...we built a snowman.  now it wasn't just any snowman.  no, it had to represent the missing member of our family-MTSC!  isn't it awesome?
we were sure to email the photo to him and a few of the moms' that were able to go to houston so that they could feel our team spirit all the way from the fort!

and it must have worked...they were the 9th seed (dead last) but managed to win their first game....and then, they won their second game. they had made it to the semifinals!

but meanwhile, back in the fort...we still had no power so MDE and i went to chipotle and then i dropped her off at a friend's house where it was much warmer due to the fact that they still had power!  i really don't remember much about the afternoon (maybe i was in some 'cold coma', i'm not sure) until MHD came home and insisted that we go to a hotel.  

it just so happened that the new, very nice omni hotel was offering a 'stay with us if your power is out' deal and upon check in...we saw no less than 4 other families that we know from our area!  MHD was on call, so while he was at the hospital...i was hunkered down in the soft bed, flippin' through channels, and surfin' the web!  i fell asleep not knowing what to expect on saturday....boy, was i surprised when MHD, who had left to go back to the hospital for rounds at 5am, phoned me at 8:30am...

from love field--about to board a southwest airlines flight to houston!!! he needed me to have a rental car reserved for him when he landed so he could zip to the soccer fields.  it seems he just couldn't stand it--with MTSC's team making it to the semifinals against a rival school (of which we have a close friend whose child would be playing...)he just had to go!  and i am so glad that he did...we still had no power, MDE had to work and then had rehearsal...and they won!  up next--the finals!  not too bad for the ninth seed!

now, i wish our adventures had ended there...but no.  the final game was played at 2:30pm.  by then, our boys had already played 3 games and they were so tired.  needless to say, they lost...but a 2nd place finish in division II for a team that really shouldn't have won even one game is pretty awesome!

MHD rode back to the fort with another dad...MTSC rode the team bus.  they didn't get home until 10:30pm...still no power, but too late for a hotel.  so we tucked ourselves in with no less than 5 blankets each and tossed and turned until morning.

sunday morning--still no power, MDE still at a friend's house, MTSC too tired to care that it was 55 degrees in the house, MHD back at the hospital, and me...well, i went to church--without a shower and funky hair.  and just when you think--it may be cold, but at least it's home...although our home is not officially on the market again until march 1, our real estate agent scheduled a showing to a family from out of town.  we couldn't say no...what if they were the ones? 

so, i frantically cleaned the house the best i could with no power...but there was one catch.  the showing was for 1:30pm.  not a big deal, you say?  well, they understood about the lack of electricity (i even graciously set out several flashlights...just hoping  they wouldn't look too close) but the 3 dogs?  i needed to do something with them and 'the back 40' (as we call it) which is where we usually put them, was wet and muddy from all the melting snow. this normally wouldn't be a problem, but MDE and i had tickets to the ballet at bass hall at 2pm!  so after thinking and thinking--i came up with a plan!  see, i would put the dogs in my car, drive to the end of the cul de sac, and let MTSC, yes MTSC sit in the car with the pups and when the showing was over....
drive my car back home and into the driveway!  the fact that he doesn't even have a learners permit didn't matter.  he did fine, we enjoyed the show, and the showing went well.

but...still no power.  by the time we returned home after the ballet, MHD was home from work and a church meeting.  we had tried several times to contact a live person with oncor, but to no avail.  well, that is until MHD, fed up by now, said we had a downed power line.  that worked.  he spoke to someone...but they were clueless.  MDE packed up and went back to the friend's house and we called the omni back.  seeing that it was valentines day, they weren't 'dealing' anymore.  so off to the hyatt place we went.  on the way, we drove around the 'hood looking for an oncor truck.  hallelujah, we found one.  only problem was they weren't from the area, it was pitch black, and they were 'looking for the problem' house to house with two small flashlights.  needless to say, we were not encouraged.

but monday morn after we woke up and drove through chik-fil-a for bfast, we arrived at a home with power!!!
hooray...the adventure was over!  the one thing i have to say after all of this...if i had a nickel for every time i flipped on a closet or bathroom light during this 'throwback to the dark ages (literally)', i would....

have a lot of nickels! haha!

No comments: